Mar 17, 2020
On this episode of Ichimon Japan we ask: What are your
Japanese studying tips?
- How and why Tony and Ryan started studying Japanese
- The structure of Japanese
- Strategies and tips for studying Japanese and any foreign
- The difficult part about learning Japanese
- Whether Japanese is a complex language
- The usefulness of talking to yourself in Japanese and
- Using anime, movies, music, and video games as tools for
- Strategies for sounding more natural in Japanese
- Reading kanji
- The importance of learning things in context
- The importance of doing things you like as a way to practice
- Why video games can be a good tool for learning Japanese
- The importance of using language as a tool
- The importance of making mistakes
- Using YouTube videos as a tool for learning Japanese
- The importance of figuring out what strategies work best for
- The importance of daily practice and study
- Practicing writing Japanese
- The benefits of talking to native speakers
- Textbook Japanese vs the casual Japanese found in the real
- How simple Japanese grammar is
- And more!
Sources, Links, Videos,
If this episode got you motivated to buy some resources for
learning Japanese, then please consider using the Amazon affiliate
Here is the first book Tony purchased after taking an interest
in the Japanese language. This is an Amazon affiliate link.
For anyone interested in practicing writing in Japanese, one
great resource that was mentioned during this episode is the
Also mentioned during this episode is the app Hello Talk.
If you would like to purchase the Genki textbooks, you
can do so via the Amazon affiliate link below.
In case you have not listened to the "intestines" episode of
Ichimon Japan that was mentioned during this episode, you
can do so by using the link below.
If you're interested in checking out the latest episode of
Japan Station, featuring Dr. Richard Samuels, an expert on
the history of the Japanese intelligence community and espionage,
then please go to the page linked below.
Most episodes feature at least one or two interesting Japanese
words or phrases. Here’s some of the ones that came up on this
episode. All information is from Jim Breen's
- 幼稚園 【ようちえん】 (n) kindergarten
- 遊園地 【ゆうえんち】 (n) amusement park
- 以上 【いじょう】 (n-adv,n-t) (1) (See 余・1) not less than; ...
and more; ... and upwards; (2) beyond ... (e.g. one's means);
further (e.g. nothing further to say); more than ... (e.g. cannot
pay more than that); (3) above-mentioned; foregoing; (4) since ...;
seeing that ...; (5) this is all; that is the end; the end
- 火炎瓶 【かえんびん】 (n) Molotov cocktail; petrol bomb; gasoline
We Want Your
Is there something about Japan that confuses you? Is there
something about Japanese culture that you would like to learn more
about? Is there something in Japanese history that you would like
us to explain? We're always looking for new questions about Japan
to answer, so if you have one, please send it to email@example.com.
Opening/Closing Theme: Produced by Apol (YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Fiverr)
Ichimon Japan cover art: Produced by Erik R.
Follow Japankyo on Social